How to build a great company culture in your startup
Culture is the soul of every organization. Whether you plan it or not, culture will happen. So as a startup CEO this is one of the core things you want to get right.
HubSpot has published a “culture code”. They published it partly as “manifesto” and partly as “employee handbook”. It is absolutely worth checking out.
Here are some of the highlights from the HubSpot Culture Code:
- Culture is to recruiting as product is to marketing.
- Whether you like it or not, you’re going to have a culture. Why not make it one you love?
- Solve For The Customer — not just their happiness, but also their success.
- Bankrupt companies don’t delight their customers.
- Success comes through educating customers, not exploiting them.
- Power is gained by sharing knowledge, not hoarding it.
- Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
- You shouldn’t penalize the many for the mistakes of the few.
- We don’t have pages of policies and procedures.
- Results should matter more than when or where they are produced.
- Influence should be independent of hierarchy.
- Great people want direction on where they’re going — not directions on how to get there.
- Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
- We’d rather be failing frequently than never trying.